Sprintcars Queensland Sprintcars Qld
New Page 1

Kicking Up The Dirt - USC Round 1
Joanne White posted Sunday September 29, 2019.

This is it race rans - our 2019-2020 Race Season kicked off last night with a huge night of Sprintcar racing at Hi-Tec Oils Toowoomba Speedway, with Jamie Veal getting the win after an eventful 30-lap affair. Robbie Farr managed to cross the line an impressive second, despite a few near disasters as the race wore on, while Current Australian Sprintcar Champion and Toowoomba local Andrew Scheuerle thrilled fans as he came in third to round out the podium. Luke Oldfield and Steven Lines completed the top five last night.

Qualifying got underway with Jamie Veal getting the quickest time of the twenty-five car field, stopping the clock at a quick 10.545 seconds while Andrew Scheuerle went second quickest with a 10.581 second lap. Bryan Mann returned trackside after an injury late last season and quickly locked in the third fastest qualifying time, recording a 10.621 second lap, while Luke Oldfield (10.638) and Robbie Farr (10.643) rounded out the fastest five. Just 0.438 seconds separated the top thirteen cars, who all managed to get into the ten-second bracket, while there was less than one second between the top twenty four cars. Mick Sauer and Andrew Corbet recorded identical time, both stopping the clock at 12.983 seconds, while Adam Butler beat Aaron Kelly by just two thousandths of a second, and Libby Ellis completed a personal best lap for the Toowoomba circuit.

Jock Goodyer and Andrew Corbet shared the front row for the start of heat one, with Corbet getting the better start and quickly securing the lead, while behind them Brent Kratzmann advanced to third before surrendered a position to a determined Jamie Veal. Steven Lines and Ryan McNamara had a thrilling battle deeper in the field as they searched for a way past Mick Sauer, while Sauer closed in on Kratzmann. Lines eventually managed to get underneath Sauer before challenging Kratzmann, while Veal closed in on Goodyer with only a few laps left to run. Goodyer and Veal caught Corbet in lapped traffic with one lap left to run, but there was no stopping Andrew Corbet as he raced to victory leaving Goodyer and Veal to negotiate over second and third. Veal challenged Goodyer all the way to the chequered flag, but it was Jock Goodyer who secured second ahead of Jamie Veal, Steven Lines, Brent Kratzmann, Mick Sauer, Ryan McNamara, Brendon Claridge and Libby Ellis.

Heat two saw Mitch Gowland and Jamie O'Neil share the front row for the start, the pair racing side-by-side through the opening corner until Gowland emerged in front. It was however short-lived for Gowland with Robbie Farr having a brilliant run to make his way into the race lead with less than one lap completed. Gowland faded a little as Andrew Scheuerle began working his way forward, while O'Neil and Jessie Attard had a brilliant battle over second and third. Attard took to the high side in an attempt to get around O'Neil, but slammed the wall coming out of turn four and faded back through the field. Anthony Lambert and Nicholas Whell almost came together as they fought over minor positions deep in the field, but there was nothing anyone could do about Farr. Robbie Farr went on to take a very comfortable win, with Jamie O'Neil second ahead of Andrew Scheuerle, Mitch Gowland, Scott Genrich, Anthony Lambert and Nicholas Whell. Jessie Attard did not finish the event.

Aaron Kelly started heat three from pole position with Adam Butler alongside. Kelly got an impressive start and quickly secured the race lead, while deeper in the field Luke Oldfield and Bryan Mann started working their way forward. Lachlan McHugh made his way into second and started chasing down Kelly, while Oldfield and Mann raced side-by-side as they searched for a way past Butler. Steve Greer got out of shape coming out of turn four and ended up spun to a stop in turn one, and brought the race under caution. Kelly led the restart from McHugh, Butler, Mann and Oldfield with eight laps left to run. Mann took to the outside of Butler and made his way into third, with Oldfield following a lap later, while at the front of the field McHugh was relentless as he searched for a way past Kelly. McHugh searched high and low while Kelly did a remarkable job to withstand the pressure from his more experienced rival. McHugh ventured back to the top side and managed to boldly race around the outside of Kelly and take control of the race with only a few laps left to run. Mann closed in on Kelly with the white flag in the air but could not quite get close enough to make a move. Lachlan McHugh got the win ahead of Aaron Kelly, Bryan Mann, Luke Oldfield, Randy Morgan, Alex Orr, Adam Butler and Steve Greer.

Heat four started with Adam Butler and Nicholas Whell from the front row, with Steve Greer and Steven Lines from the second row. Butler managed to secure the lead when the lights went green, while McHugh was quick off the start and advanced quickly. Jamie Veal and Steven Lines fought back and raced either side of McHugh, with Lines having a brilliant run around the top-side to catch Butler before racing his way into the race lead. Veal got underneath Butler a couple of laps later, leaving Butler to try and defend his position from McHugh. McHugh eventually made the highline work for him and moved the Q23 racer into third, while Veal closed on Lines as the leaders approached lapped traffic. Steven Lines got the win ahead of Jamie Veal and Lachlan McHugh, while Adam Butler was fourth across the line and led Scott Genrich, Brendon Claridge, Steve Greer and Libby Ellis across the line. Nicholas Whell did not finish the event.

Mitch Gowland and Mick Sauer shared the front row for the start of heat five with Gowland quickly securing the lead only to immediately come under fire from a very hard-charging Aaron Kelly. Brent Kratzmann ran the top-side, while Luke Oldfield worked the bottom to race his way into third. Kratzmann made contact with the wall and faded a little, but he soon brought the race to a stop when he bounced through some ruts and inverted the immaculately presented and new-look Q2 racer in turn four. Kratzmann walked away from the wreck, but the damage to the car was unfortunately enough to end his night. The race restarted with Gowland leading Kelly and Oldfield, and while Oldfield quickly looked underneath Kelly, he was unable to get the job done. Kelly in turn looked underneath Gowland, working the bottom to get under the now green and black Q32 racer and taking control of the race. Gowland soon surrendered second to Oldfield, and while Oldfield managed to close in a little on Kelly as the laps wore on, there was little he could do. Aaron Kelly got the win, his first in Sprintcars, ahead of Luke Oldfield and Randy Morgan, with Andrew Scheuerle, Mitch Gowland, Mick Sauer and Anthony Lambert rounding out the finishers. Brent Kratzmann did not finish the event.

Heat six started with Jessie Attard and Jock Goodyer from the front row with Attard securing the lead when the lights went green. Deep in the field Bryan Mann raced around the high-side with Alex Orr and Jamie O'Neil underneath. Orr was attempting to work his way forward from the rear of the field, while mid-field Andrew Corbett and Robbie Farr were captivating the crowd with their own intense battle for track position. Farr slid through underneath Corbet to take over third, while Goodyer started closing in on Attard as the race started to draw to a close. Attard made contact with the wall as the white flag flew, giving Goodyer the only invitation he needed to slip into the race read. Attard fought back hard and the pair exchanged position back and forth several times as they raced towards the chequered flag. Jessie Attard got the win with Jock Goodyer home in second ahead of Robbie Farr, Andrew Corbet, Bryan Mann, Jamie O'Neil, Alex Orr and Ryan McNamara.

Steven Lines, Bryan Mann, Lachlan McHugh and Andrew Corbet took to the track for the Bronze Shootout, with Steven Lines locking in the quickest time (11.593) and securing his spot in the Silver Shootout. Bryan Mann went second quickest, his 11.629 second lap enough to see him secure the final transfer position, while Andrew Corbet (11.696) and Lachlan McHugh (11.945) were eliminated from the shootout event.

Andrew Scheuerle and Luke Oldfield joined Steven Lines and Bryan Mann on the track for the Silver Shootout, but there was little Scheuerle and Oldfield could do to stop Lines and Mann. This time it was Mann who was the quickest of the quartet, stopping the clock at 11.706 ahead of Steven Lines (11.788), the pair advancing to the Gold Shootout and forcing Andrew Scheuerle (11.919) and Luke Oldfield (11.984) out of the shootout event.

For the Gold Shootout Bryan Mann and Steven Lines were joined on the track by the formidable duo of Jamie Veal and Robbie Farr. Jamie Veal secured pole position for the A-Main event when he stopped the clock at 11.729 seconds, with Robbie Farr (11.831) second quickest in the Gold Shootout. With Farr locking in a front row start for the main event, Steven Lines (11.929) and Bryan Mann (11.930), who finished third and fourth respectively in the Shootout events, would share the second row for the start of the 30-lap main event.

Eight cars rolled onto the track for the ten-lap B-Main event with Randy Morgan and Scott Genrich to lead them to the green. Morgan got a brilliant start and swiftly took control of the race, while Alex Orr had a breath-taking run mid-track to slip between a couple of rivals and secure the lead for himself, while there was a three-wide battle a little further back in the field as negotiations over the final couple of transfer positions intensified. Brendon Claridge spun to a stop and brought the race momentarily under caution with Orr then leading the restart from Morgan, Ryan McNamara, Nicholas Whell and Anthony Lambert. Morgan had a look underneath Orr and while he could not quite get the job done, he persisted relentlessly on the bottom as Orr ran the top, the pair racing side-by-side as they fought over the race lead. Morgan eventually emerged in front and started to open a small lead, while behind the leading duo McNamara and Whell were wheel-to-wheel with Lambert on their tail, the trio negotiating over only two transfer positions. The race was brought under caution once more, with Claridge again stopped on the race track, leaving the rest of the field with a two lap sprint to the finish line. Lambert managed to get around Whell and steal the final transfer spot, but it was Randy Morgan who got the win ahead of Alex Orr and Ryan McNamara. Anthony Lambert finished fourth ahead of Libby Ellis, Nicholas Whell and Scott Genrich. Brendon Claridge did not finish the event.

With thirty laps on the board and a front row filled by Jamie Veal and Robbie Farr, there was never any doubt that we were in for a treat as the 20-car field lined up for the A-Main event. Veal got a great start as the green flag flew, but chaos unfolded behind him, with several cars involved. Aaron Kelly and Adam Butler were perhaps the unluckiest of the field, innocently caught up in the chaos, with both drivers rolling several times, Butler even rolling over the top of Kelly before coming to a stop. Fortunately both drivers were able to walk away from the wrecks, but their nights were rather prematurely over. Lachlan McHugh was also caught up in the incident, suffering front-end damage on the Q23 racer that almost saw him out of the race as well. An open red light situation gave the McHugh Team, with the assistance of several others, the opportunity to put a new front end in the car and, despite an issue with a front shock, repair the car just enough to get McHugh back in the race.

A full restart followed with Jamie Veal again getting a great start, only this time Robbie Farr challenged on the top side as he attempted to get into the race lead. Luke Oldfield ran the high line as he battled with Steven Lines and Andrew Scheuerle, the trio negotiating over third, but it was Scheuerle who seemed to have more speed. Scheuerle managed to get the better of both Lines and Oldfield and started to pull away, his sights set on the leaders ahead of him while Lines and Oldfield put on a show of their own for the fans. Lachlan McHugh began working his way forward, despite a difficult to handle car, while Veal was on the back of the tail markers in just seven laps. With lapped traffic in play Farr rapidly closed on Veal and began challenging for the lead, not letting a little wall ride slow him down, and slid beautifully underneath Veal and into the race lead. Veal quickly returned serve and the pair continued to trade places for several laps before Veal secured control. Farr got a little out of shape and surrendered second to Scheuerle, and while Scheuerle started trying to close the gap to Veal, he was forced on the defensive as Farr, Lines and Oldfield all searched for a way forward. Farr managed to get around Scheuerle and regain second, just as Alex Orr slowed to a stop and brought the race under caution.

Jamie Veal led the restart with sixteen laps left to run and Andrew Scheuerle, Robbie Farr, Steven Lines and Luke Oldfield on his tail. Scheuerle and Farr traded blows as they fought over second, while Lachlan McHugh was making impressive progress towards the front, as was Randy Morgan, who had transferred from the B-Main. McHugh, Morgan and Bryan Mann had an intense battle over the minor places just outside the top five, while at the front of the field Veal, entering lapped traffic after just a few laps, was breath-taking on the top side. Scheuerle and Farr continued to fight over second, with Steven Lines soon joining the battle and Luke Oldfield closing in fast. While Scheuerle, Lines and Oldfield fought over the final podium position, Farr closed in on Veal but clipped the front end of Jamie O'Neil as he put the #24 racer a lap down. O'Neil, not knowing Farr was on the outside, moved slightly up track as they approached turn three, the contact between the pair leaving O'Neil stranded on the track with front end damage and brought the race under caution once more.

Jamie Veal led the restart with just four laps left to run and was unstoppable out in front with a clear track ahead of him. Andrew Scheuerle briefly challenged Farr but could not quite get close enough to make a move. Jamie Veal got the win ahead of Robbie Farr with Andrew Scheuerle home in third to round out the podium. Luke Oldfield crossed the line in fourth with Steven Lines fifth past the chequered flag. Bryan Mann finished a solid sixth, while Lachlan McHugh salvaged seventh despite piloting a damaged car and Randy Morgan had an impressive drive to finish eighth. Jock Goodyer and Anthony Lambert rounded out the top ten, with Ryan McNamara, Mitch Gowland, Mick Sauer and Steve Greer rounding out the finishers. Jamie O'Neil, Andrew Corbet, Alex Orr, Jessie Attard, Aaron Kelly and Adam Butler all failed to finish the event.

Sprintcars Queensland will head to Ausdeck Archerfield Speedway next Saturday night, 05 October 2019, to kick off the Brisbane season, and, if last night is anything to go by, we are in for another MASSIVE night of Sprintcar racing. Come and join us to see all the action for yourself….


[ Back To Referring Page | Back To News ]

New Page 1
New Page 1
Sprintcar World - Powered by Eagle Chassis


    No Nominations