Sprintcars Queensland Sprintcars Qld
New Page 1

Kicking Up The Dirt – Clayperview Easter Triple Challenge Night 2
Joanne White posted Sunday April 16, 2017.

Thirty-four Sprintcars turned up at AusDeck Patios and Roofing Archerfield Speedway last night for Night Two of the Clayperview.com Easter Triple Challenge Easter Trail and Round Twelve of the East Coast Logistics Track Championship. Nothing compares to a thrilling night of Sprintcar racing and the field certainly did not disappoint last night, putting on an absolutely breath-taking show, mesmerising the crowd and taking the points chase to a whole new level. Luke Oldfield led the early stages of the forty-lap main event, with Farr taking control in lapped traffic just past the half way mark in the race. Oldfield however refused to surrender without a fight and, with a little over half a dozen laps to run, raced back into the lead in lapped traffic. Luke Oldfield went on to take the win ahead of Robbie Farr, with Peter Lack a very solid third. Brent Kratzmann, who was initially relegated to the rear of the field after becoming involved in a first lap incident that eliminated both Andrew Scheuerle and Kevin Titman, had a scintillating run, climbing through the field to make his way back to fourth and began closing in on Lack to challenge for a podium. Kratzmann crossed the line in a very impressive fourth, with Brock Dean, who spent most of the race inside the top five, crossing the line in fifth.

Qualifying got underway on a track that was still a little too wet and while the first three groups got some hot laps to try and bring the track in before the qualifying session began, most drivers in those early qualifying groups would have been somewhat disappointed with the times they managed to achieve. Luke Oldfield, in one of the later groups, went quick time, stopping the clock at 12.562 seconds, while Peter Lack was just five thousandths of a second slower, his 12.567 second lap enough to lock him into second. Andrew Scheuerle, Lachlan McHugh and Robbie Farr rounded out the fastest five, while Daniel Sayre beat Bryan Mann by just two thousandths of a second. Brent Kratzmann and Kevin Titman were separated by just one thousandth of second, as were Brendan Scorgie and Callum Walker. Less than one second separated the top seventeen cars, while both Ben Hilder and Dylan Menz suffered mechanical issues and failed to record times.

Heat one started with Brodie Tulloch and Mark Pholi from the front row, with Dave Whell and Callum Walker right behind. Tulloch and Pholi raced side-by-side into turn one but it is Pholi who earns control of the race. Tulloch settles into second ahead of Whell while Bryan Mann tried to find a way around Callum Walker. Luke Oldfield was all over the back of Daniel Sayre, racing through on the inside of the N16 racer as they completed the second lap of the race. Oldfield then set his sights on Mann and Walker but ran too wide in turn three a few laps later, giving Sayre all the invitation he needed to slip through on the bottom and regain his position. As Sayre started trying to close the gap to Mann, Oldfield began working on making up lost ground. Dave Whell spun the Q9 racer in turn two while trying to find a way past the lapped car of Tim Ford, bringing the race under caution with three laps left to run. Mark Pholi led the restart and went on to take the win ahead of Brodie Tulloch while Callum Walker managed to cross the line in third and hold off a very hard-charging Bryan Mann. Mann finished fourth while Daniel Sayre and Luke Oldfield battled all the way to the line. Sayre held off Oldfield to finish fifth, with Oldfield home in sixth and Brendan Scorgie managing to stay ahead of a determined Allan Woods. Ben Hilder, Dave Whell and Tim Ford rounded out the finishers.

Kristy Bonsey started heat two from pole position with Brock Dean alongside and Mick Saller and Phill Foster from the second row. Bonsey and Dean raced wheel-to-wheel towards the first corner, but chaos was unfolding behind them as Matt Dumesny and Andrew Corbet came together as they took the green. Dumesny was lucky not to roll, and Robbie Farr managed to sneak through on the inside, but with Corbet sideways on the track Peter Lack had nowhere to go. Garry Jacobson and Dylan Menz were also involved as they tried to take evasive action, yet all drivers were able to restart the race. Bonsey got the jump on the restart but Dean was quick around the top side and stole the lead in turn one, with Bonsey in second ahead of Phill Foster in third. From the back of the field Dylan Menz got a brilliant start, immediately racing up the inside of Peter Lack and Garry Jacobson before setting his sights on Andrew Corbet. Dumesny and Lack both began trying to make up lost ground, with Lack all over the tail tank of Menz as Menz put all kinds of pressure on Corbet. Mick Saller was searching for a way past Kristy Bonsey, who had surrendered second to Foster, all with Robbie Farr on his tail and Dumesny closing in fast. Bonsey did a remarkable job leading a trio of more experienced rivals, and despite relentless and mounting pressure from Saller, remained smooth and consistent as she led them ever closer to the chequered flag. Brock Dean had opened a massive lead over the rest of the field, and was half a lap in front when he took the win, a margin of almost six seconds between himself and second placed Phill Foster. Kristy Bonsey crossed the line in third with Mick Saller forced to settle for fourth ahead of Robbie Farr and Matt Dumesny, with Dylan Menz, Peter Lack, Andrew Corbet, Kevin Hill and Garry Jacobson rounding out the finishers. Unfortunately Mitch Gowland did not finish the event.

Heat three started with Cody Maroske and Mick Sauer from the front row, with hard-chargers Jayden Peacock and Darren Jensen from the second row. The first start was aborted when officials deemed Maroske to have jumped the start, relegating him to the second row and elevating Peacock to pole position for the second attempt at a start. Sauer got an incredible start on the high side and quickly raced into the race lead, while Jensen and Brent Kratzmann tried to follow on the top. Jensen switched to the bottom in turn two to race underneath Peacock when the latter got a little high in the second corner and while Peacock tried to fight back there was little he could do to reel Jensen in. Kratzmann began closing in fast on Peacock but found Maroske right on his tail as Kevin Titman held off Andrew Scheuerle. Peacock got out of shape coming out of turn two and slammed the back straight wall, bouncing down track and almost collecting Kratzmann as he raced through. Peacock managed to limp his way off the racing surface half a lap later as the leaders approached lapped traffic. Jensen was all over the back of Sauer as they searched for a way past the back markers, with Kratzmann closing in quickly. Sauer got caught behind a lapped car as Jensen raced around the top, the trio three-wide through turn one, with Sauer loosing ground in turn two and allowing both Kratzmann and Maroske to slip through. Titman, Scheuerle and Lachlan McHugh were embroiled in their own battle mid field, with Scheuerle relentlessly searching for a way past Titman. The pair were side by side as they approached a lapped car, splitting either side of the traffic in turn one in a breath-taking move that captivated the crowd. Titman, on the top side, came out in front, and began closing in on Sauer and Maroske, while Scheuerle chased Titman but was quickly running out of laps. Darren Jensen went on to take the win ahead of Brent Kratzmann and Cody Maroske, with Mick Sauer, Kevin Titman, Andrew Scheuerle, Lachlan McHugh, Karl Hoffmans, Brendon Claridge and Brendan Parker rounding out the finishers. Brad Ayers and Jayden Peacock both pulled out of the race and did not finish the event.

Jayden Peacock and Brodie Tulloch led the field to the green for the start of heat four, with the pair drag racing two abreast into the first corner. By the end of turn two Tulloch was the clear leader and immediately began opening a sizable margin over his rivals. Tulloch had the Q74 racer set up beautifully and was setting an absolutely frantic pace, while Peacock settled into second and Andrew Corbet and Mick Saller fought over third and fourth, the pair racing two-wide for most of the first lap until Corbet managed to secure the advantage on the high side. Almost immediately though Saller came under increasing pressure from Daniel Sayre while Luke Oldfield edged closer and started looking for a way through. Allan Woods had a brilliant drive on the bottom, racing underneath both Lachlan McHugh and Callum Walker, with McHugh then sliding under Walker half a lap later. Both Woods and McHugh ran wide in turn four, allowing Walker to slip back through on the bottom, only for the race to be brought to a stop for Sayre who had inverted the N16 racer in turn two. Sayre walked away from the wreck but was unable to restart the event. Tulloch led the restart from Peacock and Corbet, with Oldfield now all over the back of Saller and Walker closing in fast. Walker was soon forced on the defensive as Woods began searching for a way through, while behind them Garry Jacobson had a look for a way past McHugh. McHugh managed to pull ahead of Jacobson and closed in on Woods, before attempting to slide underneath Woods in turn three. Unfortunately for Woods contact between the pair sent him into the wall entering turn four, and ended not only his race, but his night. Tulloch led the restart with four laps to run and Peacock still on his tail, but it was a little further back in the field, as Saller had a big look up the inside of Corbet, that stole the show. Saller also had to contend with both Oldfield and Walker on his tail and a small mistake in turn four gave Oldfield the only invitation he needed to race around the outside of Saller and into fourth. Brodie Tulloch went on to take the win ahead of Jayden Peacock with Andrew Corbet in third. Luke Oldfield crossed the line in fourth and led Mick Saller, Callum Walker, Garry Jacobson, Brad Ayers and Lachlan McHugh across the line. Allan Woods and Daniel Sayre did not finish the ten-lap journey.

Heat five started with Dave Whell from pole position with Cody Maroske alongside and again it was a drag race to the first corner. Maroske managed to secure the advantage on the high line with Whell settling into second, while Matt Dumesny held down third ahead of Brock Dean. Bryan Mann looked spectacular on the high side as made his way ahead of Phill Foster and started looking for a way past Dean, while Ben Hilder raced around the outside of Brent Kratzmann in turn one. Kratzmann fired straight back on the bottom through turn four, regaining his position from Hilder and setting his sights on Foster and Scheuerle who were arguing over track position just a car length in front. Kratzmann took to the high line in a bold attempt to get around Scheuerle, and when Scheuerle tried to go underneath Foster the trio raced three-wide into turn four. Scheuerle managed to stay ahead of Kratzmann but the Q2 racer was coming on strong. Two laps in Tim Ford spun the beautifully presented Q70 racer in turn three, leaving Brendan Parker nowhere to go and spinning the Q41 car in an impressive effort to avoid impact. Unfortunately for Ford he did tip the car onto its side and did not restart the race. Maroske led the restart from Whell and Dumesny and while Dumesny was all over the back of Whell, Bryan Mann found himself under fire from Andrew Scheuerle. Dumesny made a mistake in turn two, handing third to Brock Dean and rejoining the race just in front of Mann and Scheuerle, but out in front it was all about Cody Maroske as he took the win ahead of Dave Whell and Brock Dean. Matt Dumesny salvaged fourth and led Bryan Mann, Andrew Scheuerle, Brent Kratzmann, Phill Foster, Ben Hilder, Karl Hoffmans and Brendan Parker across the line. Tim Ford did not finish the event.

Kristy Bonsey and Mick Sauer shared the front row for the sixth and final heat of the night, with Bonsey getting the jump on the start only for Sauer to race around the top-side and steal control of the race with just half a lap complete. Kevin Titman initially took to the high line but switched to the bottom to slip underneath Mark Pholi, while Robbie Farr looked underneath Peter Lack and Darren Jensen. Lack took to the high side a raced sensationally around the outside of Jensen in turn four before sliding underneath Pholi half a lap later. Kevin Titman tried to find a way underneath Brendan Scorgie while Peter Lack closed in, but the race was quickly brought to a stop as Darren Jensen inverted the Q75 racer entering turn four. Jensen was unscathed in the incident and, after a quick inspection of his car, strapped back in and restarted the race from the rear of the field. Sauer led the restart from Bonsey, Scorgie and Titman, but Titman wasted no time and raced around the outside of Scorgie only moments after the race resumed. Titman set out after Bonsey, leaving Scorgie to defend his position from Peter Lack, while behind them Dylan Menz had a massive look up the inside of Robbie Farr. Lack found his way past Scorgie, but just as Farr raced underneath Scorgie, the ACT57 racer spun in turn three. Quick reflexes from Menz saved both drivers from disaster and Scorgie was able to restart from the rear of the field. Sauer again led the restart from Bonsey and Titman, and while Titman searched for a way past Bonsey, both Lack and Farr were able to slip through. Fortunately for Titman though the race was promptly brought under caution when the left side board from the main wing of the Q75 racer of Jensen tore off and became debris on the track. This unfortunately also meant Jensen was relegated to the infield and out of the race. Sauer led the restart from Bonsey and Titman, and while it took Titman a couple of laps to get the job done he eventually raced underneath Bonsey and into second, leaving Bonsey with Lack, Farr and Menz on her tail. Lack searched high and low for a way through while Farr sat back and waited for the right opportunity to race underneath Lack and steal fourth. That moment came with just half a lap to run and in a perfectly timed moved Farr worked the low line to secure the advantage. Lack of course tried to fight back in the final corner but was unable to get back in front. Mick Sauer took the win ahead of Kevin Titman and Kristy Bonsey, with Robbie Farr in fourth ahead of Peter Lack, Dylan Menz, Brendan Scorgie, Mitch Gowland and Kevin Hill.

Qualifiers five, six, seven and eight after the conclusion of the heats took to the track for the Bronze Shootout. Bryan Mann secured quick time, stopping the clock at 12.103 seconds with Kevin Titman just four thousandths of a second slower with a 12.107 second lap. Both Mann and Titman would transfer to the Silver Shootout with Lachlan McHugh and Brent Kratzmann eliminated from the shootout event after finishing third and fourth respectively.

Peter Lack and Andrew Scheuerle joined Bryan Mann and Kevin Titman on track for the Silver Shootout and this time it was Peter Lack who recorded the quickest lap. Lack stopped the clock at 11.953 seconds and secured a transfer to the Gold Shootout, with Andrew Scheuerle narrowly beating Bryan Mann to advance with Lack. Bryan Mann finished third in the silver shootout, just 0.019 second slower than Scheuerle, with Kevin Titman rounding out the Silver Shootout contenders.

Luke Oldfield and Robbie Farr joined Peter Lack and Andrew Scheuerle on track for the Gold Shootout to determine the starting order for the main event. Luke Oldfield stopped the clock at a quick 11.758 seconds and secured pole position for the main event, with Andrew Scheuerle locking into position two after claiming second in the Gold Shootout. Robbie Farr and Peter Lack finished third and fourth respectively in the shootout event and would share the second row for the start of the A-Main.

Eighteen cars lined up for the fifteen lap B-Main event, which was ultimately declared after only thirteen laps when a massive multi-car crash stalled proceedings. Mick Sauer and Brendan Scorgie led the field to the green for the start, with Mick Saller and Kristy Bonsey close behind. Sauer got the jump when the green flag flew and quickly settled into the race lead with Scorgie right on his tail. Dave Whell made his way past Kristy Bonsey leaving Bonsey to try and defend her position from both Darren Jensen and Mark Pholi. Ben Hilder and Dylan Menz were both trying to climb their way through the field, having a brilliant battle amongst themselves as they tried to get closer to the front of the field. Brad Ayers was making impressive progress through the field and after a somewhat ordinary start to his weekend was finally looking to have some pace. Karl Hoffmans brought the race under caution when he spun the Q3 racer in turn three with ten laps to go. Sauer led the restart from Scorgie, Saller and Whell with Whell slipping underneath Saller as soon as the race resumed. Jayden Peacock began searching for a way past Mark Pholi and Darren Jensen, while Jensen kept pressure on Bonsey. Pholi and Peacock almost came together in turn four, while Jensen eventually found a way around the outside of Bonsey when he committed to the high line. Peacock raced up the inside of Pholi as Ayers started to close in, but Ayers soon founding himself under increasing pressure from a very hard-charging Dylan Menz and Ben Hilder. Hilder got past Menz in turn two and set out after Ayers, but when Hilder got a fraction too sideways coming out of turn three chaos unfolded. Dylan Menz took evasive action but got collected by the car behind him and while all cars somehow managed to keep moving it was clear that Menz had suffered damage to the front end of the Q46 racer. Unfortunately for Menz there was little he could do and the incredibly unlucky Brendan Parker in the Q41 racer soon collided with the slowing Q46 racer. Parker was launched into a spectacular end-to-end roll into turn one, and while the oncoming field took evasive action Mick Saller and Darren Jensen both ended up-side-down in a big way. All drivers walked away from the wreckages and the race was promptly declared, with Mick Sauer the official winner ahead of Brendan Scorgie and Dave Whell. With Saller and Jensen unable to continue Kristy Bonsey was elevated to fourth where she snared the final transfer to the A-Main event. Jayden Peacock was classified as fifth ahead of Mark Pholi, Brad Ayers, Ben Hilder, Mitch Gowland, Garry Jacobson, Kevin Hill, Brendon Claridge and Karl Hoffmans. Dylan Menz, Mick Saller, Darren Jensen, Brendan Parker and Tim Ford all failed to finish the event.

Luke Oldfield and Andrew Scheuerle lined up alongside each other for the start of the forty-lap A-Main race, with Robbie Farr and Peter Lack right on their tails. Oldfield and Scheuerle raced wheel-to-wheel into the first corner, but contact between the pair saw Scheuerle collide hard with the wall exiting the turn. Neither Kevin Titman nor Brent Kratzmann had anywhere to go and both collided with Scheuerle against the fence, Titman sandwiched between Scheuerle and Kratzmann. While all drivers walked away, Kratzmann was the one able to restart the event, and would have a huge task ahead of him from the rear of the field. A full restart followed with Lack now elevated to the front row alongside Oldfield with Oldfield quickly securing the race lead while Lack settled into second. Matt Dumesny, now out of position four in the absence of Scheuerle, Titman and Kratzmann, got sideways in turn two while challenging Farr for third, where he was promptly collected by Bryan Mann and Lachlan McHugh. The rest of the field took evasive action and while all cars kept moving and Mann was able to limp the Q16 racer to the infield, Dumesny was unable to make it off the track and brought the race under caution.

With a lap still not completed another full restart followed with Oldfield and Lack again leading the field to the green, Robbie Farr still from position three, and Brock Dean, who had originally started from position twelve, now up to fourth. Oldfield quickly secured the lead in advance of Lack and Farr while Dean momentarily held down fourth. Lachlan McHugh however was exceptional on the bottom and race underneath both Dean and Farr in turn two of the opening lap before setting his sights on Lack. Callum Walker began trying to make his way forward, moving past Kristy Bonsey and chasing down Phill Foster, while Brent Kratzmann began weaving his way through the field determined to make up lost ground. Kratzmann wasn’t alone in his endeavours though, with Dave Whell, who transferred from the B-Main, following him through. Kratzmann raced under Bonsey in turn three before getting around both Walker and Foster coming out of turn four and setting out after Brendan Scorgie and Andrew Corbet, all with Dave Whell closing in behind. Oldfield and Lack began negotiating lapped traffic, with Farr and McHugh edging closer as the traffic got thicker. Brodie Tulloch looped the Q74 racer in turn four, right in front of Oldfield as he was about to go a lap down, and while Oldfield was able to avoid the spinning car, and Tulloch was able to regain control and keep the car moving to avoid a stoppage, Dave Whell and Peter Lack were forced to take evasive action, giving Farr the only opening he needed on the bottom to steal second from Lack. Lack fought back hard but couldn’t quite get the job done, and soon found McHugh all over his tail tank. Deeper in the field Cody Maroske was working the high line beautifully as he searched for a way around Mick Sauer and Kristy Bonsey, but the race was brought to a stop soon after when Tulloch spun the Q74 racer to a stop in turn four.

Luke Oldfield led the restart from Robbie Farr and Peter Lack with Lachlan McHugh and Brock Dean close behind. Kratzmann continued to climb his way through the field, getting underneath Brendan Scorgie less than a lap into the restart before challenging Andrew Corbet for position. McHugh was all over the back of Lack while Cody Maroske took over fifth from Brock Dean. Kratzmann eventually got under Corbet, with Whell in hot pursuit, while the leaders had re-entered lapped traffic. Farr turn up the pressure and managed to steal the lead from Oldfield and while Oldfield fought back valiantly, Farr used the traffic to cement his lead. Another yellow light stoppage soon followed, with Maroske stopped coming out of turn two and McHugh limping the Q23 racer to the infield. Neither driver was able to restart the event.

With sixteen laps left to run it was Robbie Farr who led the restart from Luke Oldfield and Peter Lack, with Brock Dean and Brent Kratzmann next in line. Kratzmann quickly raced up the inside of Dean just half a lap into the restart, and began working on chasing down Lack, a podium finish within sight, leaving Dean to defend his position from a very much in-form Dave Whell. Dean soon managed to pull a little ahead of Whell, with Whell then coming under fire from Callum Walker, but with lapped traffic soon coming back into play it was hard not to watch Farr and Oldfield as they argued over the lead. Oldfield regained the lead in spectacular fashion, using the high line to race around Farr as Farr raced around the topside of Phill Foster. From there Luke Oldfield was unstoppable and made it look easy as he raced towards the chequered flag, taking the win ahead of Robbie Farr while Peter Lack filled the final podium position. Brent Kratzmann had a truly inspiring drive from the rear of the field to cross the line in fourth with Brock Dean rounding out the top five. Dave Whell finished sixth, an impressive effort after initially starting sixth in the B-Main, with Callum Walker, Mick Sauer, Andrew Corbet and Brendan Scorgie completing the top ten. Phill Foster and Kristy Bonsey rounded out the finishers while Brodie Tulloch, Lachlan McHugh, Cody Maroske, Bryan Mann, Matt Dumesny, Daniel Sayre, Kevin Titman and Andrew Scheuerle all failed to finish the event.

While some drivers will not be contesting the final round of the Clayperview Easter Triple Challenge at Lismore Speedway tonight, most of the field is set to go again and end the weekend with one more night of breath-taking racing action. If you can, get yourself to Lismore Speedway tonight and support a track that just a fortnight ago was completely underwater. The team at Lismore have worked wonders to get the venue ready for tonight, and with Sprintcar competition only set to get more intense you will not want to miss this one!


[ Back To Referring Page | Back To News ]

New Page 1
New Page 1
Sprintcar World - Powered by Eagle Chassis


    No Nominations